Monday, December 08, 2008

dp boredum...

Today is not a good day for scooting. The sun is hiding and the gloomy clouds are sitting around enjoying some kind of tea party. I swear they only tease us and pretend to be up to something here in California. "How's the weather?" isn't even a conversation starter here - if you start off with that people will know you're desperate. Now I didn't say it was a horrible day for scooting; it would be perfectly fine for me to bundle up in layers and take a short trip down to the harbor, but I'm in more of a bundle up next to the fire with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book type of mood. (Talk about a run-on sentence....)

I started reading a separate peace about a month ago, but have since returned it to the library as it, along with eight other books, were overdue. If I go back now I'll have to pay the two dollars in fines I owe, and I never was one who enjoyed paying off debts completely. Hah! So it really turns into a question of what book should I start next, and yes, I will go to the library if needs be. I'll throw them a quarter and they can be satisfied with my payment plan.

 Ideas? I'll take them. Thanks.

3 comments:

Rechelle said...

Well, you're not missing much with A Separate Peace if you ask me. The ending was very blah. If you're in a "required reading" mood then Flowers for Algernon is good, as is The Giver... both are quick reads. I love to recommend books to people, but I feel like I need to know more about what you like. If you're a long complicated, depressing Russian novel person I'd recommend Anna Karenina. A sci/fi type,The Left Hand of Darkness or Ender's Game. Fantasy: On a Pale Horse. Chick lit (don't knock it till you try it!): Memoirs of a Geisha. But if you like smart non-fiction, or even really smart fiction, I'm not the one to help you! Mostly Claire is napping right now and I'm avoiding laundry, so you got the way-too-long answer!

Corrigan Vaughan said...

I just read Kite Runner. I hated it but it was a really good book. Depressing as hell. I also recently read Devil in the White City. Historical, but AWESOME! Not that those terms are mutually exclusive... especially if you're a nerd like me. Which you kind of are. Hehe. But anyway, it's about the Chicago World's Fair and a guy who built an entire hotel simply for the purpose of killing anonymous women during the event. It's a pretty cool read. Non-fiction but reads like a novel. Most of the books I read seem to be about murderers, so if you're ever looking for those, I've got you covered.

Emil said...

Vonnegut